Saturday, August 18, 2018

Thank goodness, my wife paid attention to her Mama

There is no place I would rather eat than in my own home and no other cook whose food I prefer over that prepared by my wife.
She has told me how as a little girl, then as a preteen and even as a teen-ager, she would often help her mother prepare meals, watching and remembering every move her mother made, every egg she cracked, every cup of ingredient she added.
Often, perhaps always, her mother would add ingredients, experimenting with flavor, on the spur of the moment. My wife's memory is still nearly perfect, so she cooks the way her mother cooked, using some basic ingredients and adding more for flavor. I was fortunate to eat a little of her mother's cooking before she passed, and I am the beneficiary of all her instruction and all of my wife's observation of her mother's technique.
In short and in Ozarker: Boy, howdy, I eat good.
Tonight, she fixed lasagna, something I had been hinting at for weeks. Well, maybe I did more than hint. Maybe begging, pleading, bargaining  are the correct words.
I had to work part of the day, even though it is Saturday, and when I got home, she had already made the hamburger and all the additional fixin's. She was ready to layer it in the pan.
Here is what she told me would  go into it:
2.25 pounds of hamburger meat, 80 percent lean ground beef
One large container of cottage cheese
Three eggs
A whole package of grated mozzarella cheese
About 4 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic
Basil and oregano, no measurement known
Half a cup of parmesan cheese
A jar of chunky spaghetti sauce with herbs
A whole package of oven-ready lasagna noodles.
She mixed the cottage cheese, eggs, spices and parmesan together, then layered everythng, ending with a layer of mozzarella on top.
She baked it an hour at 350 degrees.
Wheweee! That and a salad with balsamic vinegarette filled this old boy up.
But more than that, it was all flavorful. I find that as I get older, I am even more interested in flavor. Perhaps my tastebuds are wearing out. Whatever the reason, I find that I am always looking for flavor.
A lot of restaurant foods, well for me most restaurant foods, especially fast-food restaurant foods, lack flavor. We have a new fast-food barbecue restaurant in town, and I ordered a Southern pulled pork sandwich. I couldn't taste anything except the sauce. The meat was all texture, no taste. I was so disappointed and likely will never go back.
Fortunately, I have a wife who paid attention to her mama, and likes to cook, so I have flavorful foods at home, the place where I am most comfortable.

No comments: