Thursday, December 11, 2008

Are poinsettias poisonous?

Probably no other houseplant has been tested for toxicity as much as the poinsettia.

All research results have found all parts of the poinsettia to be non-toxic when ingested. Even so, it is still widely believed that ingestion of the plant is poisonous.

Research conducted by Ohio State University and POISINDEX (for the U.S. Poison Control Centers) found that a fifty-pound child would have to eat more than 500 poinsettia leaves to exceed the experimental doses found to be toxic.

While poinsettias may not be toxic, mistletoe berries and holly berries are toxic and should be avoided when small children or pets are around.--Delaine Litman-Hohenfeldt

No comments: