Saturday, November 12, 2011

Does going to church make you more optimistic?

According to this information, Study links religious services to optimism, church-goers are more optimistic. Hmmm. Doesn't seem to work on me. I go to church fairly regularly, but I have a pessimistic view of life. I've always figured it was my fundamentalist upbringing. Or maybe it's because of years as a newspaperman that I'm pessimistic about mankind.

An excerpt:

Regular attendance at religious services is associated with a more optimistic outlook and a lesser inclination to be depressed, compared to those who do not attend services at all, a study concluded on Thursday.

The study's findings supports previous research that religious participation can promote psychological and physical health -- and reduce mortality risks -- possibly by calming people in stressful times, creating meaningful social interactions and helping curtail bad habits.

Those who said they attended services more than once a week in the previous month were 56 percent more likely to be above the median score in a measure of optimism than those who did not attend services, according to the study published in the Journal of Religion and Health.


I guess I need to start going more than once a week.

No comments: