Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Not as bad as they said it would be

We've got sleet and snow on the ground and it is mighty cold, but it is not nearly as bad as the weather forecasters said it would be.

So far, the power has stayed on, and it looks like it will continue, for I think the storm is over. All it's going to be now is cold, dang cold.

I heard three days ago that it was going to be a combination of the ice of 2007 and an 1880s-style blizzard like Laura Ingalls Wilder described in her book, The Long Winter.

Then two days ago I heard it was going to be a winter storm like we got in 1912. I'm old, but I don't remember that. That's even before my parents' time.

Then yesterday I heard it was going to be like the winter of 1951, which again was before my appearance on this globe.

I said I'd adopt a wait-and-see approach. I've waited and I see a typical Missouri storm for February.

The weather boys and girls got us all stirred up.

Well, at least we've all got enough bread and milk to last us awhile.

No comments: