Friday, December 24, 2010

All I ever talk about is the weather

We got up at 4 a.m. and there was snow on the ground and in the air. I cleared off the car and left for work after fortifying myself with plenty of coffee. I had no trouble getting out of the driveway. The street had not been plowed, and it was slippery. That should have been a warning to me, but I was intent on getting to work. Missing work due to weather would be unmanly, I thought.

I made it onto the interstate, and I knew immediately this would not be a manly day. There was little westbound traffic at 5:30 a.m.; it's usually pretty busy. The surface was slushy and the car kept slipping around. I crept to Newburg and headed back home. The eastbound lanes and traffic were even worse. An 18-wheeler passed me and threw slop all over the car. I crawled back to Rolla and was glad to get into the driveway and back inside the house. Not very manly, I know, but that's the way it goes.

I stuck a tape measure in the snow about 6:30 and it sunk down 2.5 inches. The snow was still coming down fast. It's nearly 8:30 now and the snow is still falling although not as thickly.

My wife is not too happy about having a white Christmas. My, how she has changed after being in Missouri for 8 years. She was disappointed that the Ozarks had a white Christmas in 2002, while we were in Texas visiting her family. She was rhapsodic about the first significant snowfall she experienced that winter. Over the years, though, she has liked snow and Missouri winters less and less. I think the January 2007 ice storm was the last straw for her. She isn't excited at all about a white Christmas tomorrow.

No comments: