Thursday, November 25, 2010

Another weather update

Well, good grief, it's 12:24 p.m. and the rain/sleet mix has stopped. Now it is spitting snow along with the sleet.

My Texas wife is not happy. "Sleet on the ground and snow falling," she said. "Yippee, skippee."

The weather has kept us home. We planned on going to see my parents; my sister and her family drove up last night to be with them, so at least they're not by themselves.

Our daughter and son-in-law stayed in Rolla, too, instead of going up to Grandma and Grandpa's. Delaine has been cooking up a Thanksgiving so we're going over to eat with them and our grandson.

This is what happens in a state with oddball weather. Young people and transplants to Missouri, neither of which have any weather memories, think Missouri has mild weather. Well, it can be mild. It can also be harsh. Sometimes we have balmy Thanksgivings, sometimes we have rain, sleet and snow--with a glaze of ice on the roads, which is what I'm sure is going to happen towards dark.

The Old Farmers Almanac has predicted this winter in Missouri will be drier than normal and colder than normal. I agree with the cold prediction; I'm not so sure about the dryness. The first woolybear I found was completely black; no brown band at all. That ought to tell you something.

I think I'll open up some persimmon seeds this afternoon and see what I find.

No comments: