Monday, August 30, 2010

I was ready to get mad at the city dads

The Rolla Daily News grabbed me with a headline today. "City taxes inching up," it said in large black type. The subhead declared "Council approves incremental increase."

I saw the paper at Wal-Mart, and I gritted my teeth as I picked up a copy and then went looking for the couple of items I was sent to the store to get. I couldn't wait to get home, read the article and start fuming about the dadgum city government trying to nickel-and-dime me to death.

I settled down when I read the article. Turns out the headline was alarmist in nature, for the levy is only rising from $0.7364 in 2009 to $0.7392 this year. That is an increase of $0.0028

"The 2010 city levy of $0.7392 is lower than the 2008 levy and nearly identical to the 2007 levy," the newspaper reported.

On a house worth $150,000, the increase won't even be $1. Since my house isn't worth near that much, my tax increase will be minimal.

I got all bent out of shape over nothing. That headline was tricky. It got me to buy the paper, though, so I guess it was successful.

No comments: