Saturday, July 17, 2010

Missourians Need This Attitude

Country radio just isn't what it used to be, so I rarely listen to it any more. I like songs by Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Faron Young, Ferlin Huskey, Lefty Frizzell, Tom T. Hall, Hank Williams, Hank Jr. and even Hank III, George Jones, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynette. You don't hear any of them on the radio nowadays. Instead, you hear Taylor Swift, Kellie Pickler, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban and other such girl singers. With these "artists" you hear a lot of pop music that bears no resemblance to country music.

If I'm going to listen to country music that doesn't sound like traditional country music, I prefer something with a little bit of edge to it, so I usually log onto KFWR, The Ranch, which streams audio from its studios in Fort Worth, Texas. Now, they play some crap, too; for instance, they're playing something right now by someone named Sunny Sweeney that ought to be thrown in the trash can.

KFWR plays Texas artists only, so much of the music is about Texas. My wife, of course, loves this station. I like the Texas attitude. Here are a couple of songs KFWR played this morning. I wish Missourians had this same attitude about our state.

"Welcome to Texas," Brian Burns:




"Screw You, We're From Texas," Ray Wylie Hubbard

No comments: