Friday, June 4, 2010

Out in the yard--Part III


By R.D. Hohenfeldt
Managing Editor

This plant is called Weigela. It's been growing in the front yard for 7-8 years; in fact, it's been around here longer than I have. Although I planted it for Delaine, she got this when it was little, back before we got married.

I like the looks of it a lot. I also like to say the name of it, although I'm certain I pronounce it wrong. I say, "wy-JEE-la" with a heavy emphasis on the second syllable. I also hold onto that second syllable, so it comes out more like "wy-JEEEEEEE-la." Say it out loud. Doesn't that feel good?

This particular plant is called Wine and Roses Weigela. There are several other varieties with different colors.

It is planted right next to our Anthony Waterer Spiraea out in the full son, next to the street. I think they look good together.

No comments: