Thursday, June 3, 2010

Out in the yard--Part II

By R.D. Hohenfeldt
Managing Editor

This poor little guy has had a heckuva time.

He's a Red Buckeye, and my wife bought this plant at Missouri Wildflowers Nursery way back in 2005.

I planted it that summer and then didn't take very good care of it, and I thought it had burned up in the heat wave that late summer, but then it came back in the spring of 2006.

That summer, I forgot about it, and mowed it down.

It came back in 2007, but I again failed to take care of it, and it burned up.

Nevertheless, it came back in 2008. In the middle of the summer, my mower quite working, so Delaine hired a neighbor boy to mow the yard. "Don't mow down the buckeye," she said, and pointed it out to him. I went out later and checked his work and when I came back in, I said, "He mowed down your buckeye."

It made it through 2009 unscathed, and this spring it looks better than ever. I missed photographing the blooms, and they're mostly gone in this photo.

No comments: