Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Out in the Yard--Page VII

By R.D. Hohenfeldt
Managing Editor

These are daisies, and boy howdy, they are prolific.

I planted a few of them in one of the flower beds a couple of years ago, and now they've spread into areas of the flower bed I didn't intend them to go.

They're one of the reasons I need to rework that flower bed. The main reason, of course, is the weeds that I've let overrun.

My wife says a weed is just a plant growing where you don't want it to grow. In that case, these daisies might be classified as weeds instead of wildflowers.

They're beautiful while blooming, though, so I'm not going to pull them.

Speaking of beautiful wildflowers; I noticed last week that purple coneflowers are blooming on the roadsides. I'll have to try to get some pictures. Purple conflowers are my favorite wildflowers.

No comments: