Saturday, June 5, 2010

Has the "old, old story of Jesus" been replaced?

Back in the old days when I was a very young Ozarks Boy, my Southern Baptist church taught that all of us are sinners worthy of hell.

God is gracious, though, they taught us, and the Father made a way to heaven for us by sending his Son to live a perfect life to fulfill the Law and then die for us to pay the penalty for sin. He rose on the third day, victorious over sin and death. Only by repenting of our sins and accepting Jesus Christ as our personal savior--that is, believing that He took our sins on Himself when He died on the cross--do we become worthy of heaven. It was taught and preached repeatedly that we are worthy of heaven only through His worthiness, if we by faith accept Him as Lord and Savior. When the Father looks at us, He sees the Son and accepts us. That's grace, unmerited favor, my Sunday School teachers and preachers taught me.

Has this become an old school teaching for most Christians? I think it has; I've been reading a blog called Jesus Creed, and salvation from sin is unimportant to the Jesus presented on that blog. In fact, I'd say that the Jesus presented on that blog and the Jesus presented in my church and in places like this one, Sinners--In Desperate Need of Salvation, aren't the same.

I'm a much, much older Ozarks Boy now, but I still attend a Southern Baptist church and the gospel presented in my church is the same as that presented in my boyhood church.

But maybe there has been a new revelation! Is there a new truth? If so, I need to get pointed to some new study materials, and I need to find a new church that presents the new truth.

No, I think I'll just stick with the old, old story of Jesus Christ. I trust Him, not new revelation.

No comments: