Monday, May 10, 2010

We're in the midst of blackberry winter

When I talked to my mother Sunday, she reminded me that we are experiencing what is called "blackberry winter."

Dave's Garden defines that as
"A (mainly Southern) term used to describe a brief period of cold weather that coincides with the time the blackberries are in bloom, (typically in early to mid May)."

Hilton Pond has an essay from 2006 that goes into more detail in a literary fashion, for those of you who like that sort of thing. Here's an excerpt:
Back here at the Center, "Blackberry winter" may slow things down a bit, but it never gets so blustery that Blackberry blossoms die. The cold snap doesn't last very long and by week's end the weather was almost back to normal for mid-May--allowing all those tiny green Blackberries around Hilton Pond to begin their ripening process. Rest assured we won't forget to think about this week's "Blackberry winter" when we pluck our tasty Blackberry fruit from prickly vines come June or July.

It's been so cool that I turned on the furnace Saturday and I wore a coat to church Sunday and to work today.

Not only is it cold. It's overcast and has been raining. I dumped .65 of an inch from the rain gauge today when I got home from work

No comments: