Thursday, January 28, 2010

What Obama said and what I think he meant

1. What he said: "And if the Republican leadership is going to insist that 60 votes in the Senate are required to do any business at all in this town -- a supermajority -- then the responsibility to govern is now yours as well."
And what I think he meant: "Well, crap, I thought we could just keep on ignoring you conservatives and Republicans but I guess not now. So I guess we'll have to share some of the decision-making responsibility with you."

2. What he said: "Just saying no to everything may be good short-term politics, but it's not leadership."
And what I think he meant: "Shut up you damn Republicans and do what we say. Quit disagreeing with me. Quit pointing out my errors in thinking and philosophy."

3. What he said: "We still have the largest majority in decades, and the people expect us to solve some problems, not run for the hills."
And what I think he meant: "Screw'em. We're going to do what we want to do."


Here's the full text of what he said: State of the Union.

For balance, here's the GOP side of the issues: Republican Address to the Nation.

No comments: