Monday, January 4, 2010

Even colder this morning

The temperature on the front porch was 3.4 degrees when I got up at 4 a.m. I'm about to leave for work and it's 2.9 at 4:45. That means it will drop even more just before sunrise. There's a scientific reason for that, but I don't have time to get into right now.

I'll update this evening.

UPDATE at 7:15: It's 6.7 degrees on the front porch. Weather Underground, using National Weather Service figures collected at Rolla National Airport, says it got down to 0 degrees this morning and only got to 14 this afternoon. Record high for this date: 66 in 1950, minus-8 in 1959.

The forecasters say even more bitter cold is on the way.

I wore two coats and two pairs of gloves this morning. I wore a larger, lined corduroy coat over my lined jacket. I wore a pair of jersey gloves under a larger pair of leather gloves. I hate cold the older I get and have to bundle up more.

I was counting on global warming to get me through my old age, but it turned out to be a hoax.

No comments: