Friday, October 2, 2009

That's What I Think: Lessons in fairness should begin on the sports field, in class

The other day as I was driving home from work, listening to the Sean Hannity talk show, I heard a caller say that an author who had earned $1 million in book sales should have to give up at least half of that to the government for taxes so it could be redistributed to welfare programs.

Redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor seems to be catching on, and the more I hear about it, the more I like it.

If you make more money than me (and you very likely do), I think the government ought to take some of that money you have earned and give it to me. If you are opposed to that idea, I can think of only one word to describe you: Greedy.

Why would you not want to help me? It isn't fair that you make more money than I, is it? I work hard every day, just as I have for several decades. I did chores around the house and the homestead when I was a kid. I helped weed the garden. I started working summers when I was in junior high school. I worked all the way through my university years and have had a job ever since. I have done lots of different things: sprayed trees, planted shrubs and helped with landscaping, flipped burgers and made fries, wiped old people's bottoms and cleaned up their puke, filed stuff in drawers in professor's offices, edited newspapers, sold advertising, wrote news and took pictures, worked the circulation desk at the library. Now I operate a forklift and other power equipment, cull lumber, load bags of Quikrete onto trucks and trailers, stock shelves with merchandise and put up signs and displays in a retail home improvement store.

Let me repeat: I work hard and always have. Nevertheless, you make more money than I and that isn't fair. The government should force you to give some of that to me.

President Obama told Joe the Plumber that he ought to be willing to help people who don't have it as good as ole Joe did, in other words, people like me. I'm looking for some Obama money, and I know where Obama is going to get that money. He's going to get it from you.

The president was elected on a platform of hope and change, and I believe it is time for a change throughout society. We need to start teaching redistribution of wealth in public school in a couple of ways.

One way we can do it is through sports. For instance, the Rolla High School Bulldogs varsity football team has won eight games this season and has lost none. That is pure unadulterated Greed with a capital G. The Missouri State High School Sports Association (MSHSAA) should take away some of those wins and redistribute them to schools that have worked hard but have not won as many games, schools like Waynesville, for instance. We need to even out these wins and losses. It is unfair to have some schools do so well and others not on the athletic field.

What is it teaching our young people that some teams win more often than others each season? Now some would say that the winning teams are learning the benefits of hard work and the losing teams are learning persistence and character. Fiddle-faddle. The winning teams are learning greed and arrogance, while the losing teams are learning hopelessness and futility. It is high time the government (MSHSAA) stepped in and fixed this problem by redistributing the wealth of wins. That would teach the winning teams the value of brotherhood while teaching the losing teams that the government will always be there to bail them out.

In the classroom, the same kind of thing is going on. Some students are making many A's and B's, while some are making D's and F's. Those greedy honor students need to be required to give up their A's and B's to the poor students making D's and F's so everyone can make a fair and equitable C.

As we use the public education system to teach youngsters the fairness of redistribution of the wealth of wins or grades, they'll understand the fairness of redistributing the financial wealth when they enter the work force. They won't complain about sending some of their money to me.

This is to be the legacy of the Obama administration.

No comments: