Thursday, October 1, 2009

The best lemon cake you'll ever eat

One day at the home improvement warehouse we were sitting in the break room talking about our favorite subject, food, when Tom, an ex-serviceman who at the time worked in the millwork department, said, "I've got a recipe for the best lemon cake you'll ever eat."

Naturally, I wanted to know more, and he said it included a package of lemon pudding mixed in with a yellow cake mix.

"It's a very moist cake," he said, "so moist, in fact, that I mailed one to my son in Iraq and it was moist when he got it."

I begged for the recipe, and a couple of days later, Tom brought it to work. Here it is:

Yellow cake mix
Box of lemon pudding
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
Mix well (I whip it)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes

For the glaze:
2 full cups powedered sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons water

After the cake has cooled, punch many holes in it with a fork, then pour and spread the glaze across the top of the cake.

I've baked this simple recipe for potlucks at work and at church. People who like the taste of lemon love this cake. I like lemon so much that I'll even go so far as to mix lemon juice and water to come up with the 3/4 cup of liquid for the batter.

If you try this cake and make your own adaptations to it, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

No comments: