Thursday, September 10, 2009

Something in the water

The number of young, single girls at the store in which I work who get pregnant is amazing to me. There are 100 employees on average and on any given day, six of them are pregnant.

I believe ignorance is the problem.

A couple of weeks ago, while we were at lunch in the breakroom, one of the girls mentioned she was pregnant. My department manager said, "A lot of girls get pregnant here. Must be something in the water." Just as a joke, you know.

This girl said, just as serious as a heart attack, "No, I bring my own water from home."

That's the truth. We didn't say a thing. My boss and I just looked at each other. He shook his head. I rolled my eyes.

I thought Planned Parenthood was supposed to take care of this. Somehow, I suspect, they would blame George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, along with Fox News Channel and talk radio.

No comments: