Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cutting sprouts by the moon

An OzarksAlmanac.com reader named Alton writes:

I remember my grandfather having a certain day to cut the young tree suckers and sprouting persimmon bushes from his fields, something about the sign and moon was right and they would not grow back,
I thought I might find some help on this site.

Appreciate any advice or point me to the right sight for this wisdom.

Thanks
Alton



Thanks for writing, Alton. You need to do that kind of work when the moon is waning--the absolute best time is in the fourth quarter--and is in Gemini or Aries. You'll need a farmer's almanac to determine which day matches those parameters. Wal-Mart or a book store should have an almanac for sale.

Anyone else with a gardening question or an Ozarks lore question? Just write. I'll do my best to answer.

No comments: