Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Did my civic duty

Mine was the 57th ballot cast today in Ward 5 in the Rolla spring election. I voted at about 6:45 p.m., just a quarter of an hour until closing time. As I walked out the door of the Eugene E. Northern Community Hall, another old boy was coming in to vote. He was the 58th. If a couple more stragglers came in just before 7, the total would have been 60. Sixty votes for the 13 hours that precinct was open. That's fewer than 5 per hour.

Admittedly, there wasn't much to vote on, just a school board race. The city council candidate was unopposed. Nevertheless I had to vote because I would have felt like a bum if I hadn't. These local elections are more important than the national election. If I hadn't cast a vote for John McCain, it wouldn't have been missed, but my one vote in my precinct might make a difference in the school board election. It carries more weight, anyway.--RDH

No comments: