Saturday, February 28, 2009

Paul Harvey dies at age 90; heard on radio here and everywhere

For some reason, when I was a kid, I used to think that Jesus would come back before Paul Harvey died. The radio commentatator has been on the air for as long as I can remember.

Yahoo News, quoting the AP, reported the following today:

Paul Harvey, the news commentator and talk-radio pioneer whose staccato style made him one of the nation's most familiar voices, died Saturday in Arizona, according to ABC Radio Networks. He was 90.

Harvey died surrounded by family at a hospital in Phoenix, where he had a winter home, said Louis Adams, a spokesman for ABC Radio Networks, where Harvey worked for more than 50 years. No cause of death was immediately available.


He has at least one Missouri connection. The now-defunct Autos of Yesteryear/Memoryville body shop worked on a car that he said he courted his wife, Angel, in. I believe the car also was on display in the museum.

I seem also to remember him talking about the Ozarks every now and again; I don't know if he had a cabin in the hills somewhere or not. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

No comments: